Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Good news, and bad news

First off, I extend a HUGE thank you to all the guys (and girl) at Makerbot who signed my 'Bot!
I've posted the album publicly on my Google+, so check it out there!!

Sadly, this is where the bad news comes in... When the front plate was on it's way back from NY to OR, USPS was, shall we say, less than careful handling the package, and the wood arrived cracked in three places. It still works after a bit of sanding and super glue, but I wish it had arrived unbroken.

Second, I finally got the ACME Z axis upgrade, but am quite honestly disapointed... Maybe I just got bad rods, but since I've installed them, the wobble's gotten worse, the Z axis is binding tons and I've been having a hell of a time calibrating... Now to save up for precision ground linear shafting and some linear bearings and such to replace the Z axis. Oh well, I guess it was worth a shot... maybe I can figure out some sort of wobble arrestor for the leadscrews, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Third, I've finally upgraded some of the firmware on my bot, greatly improving the usability of the interface board, the firmware I'm now running can be found here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15380 It's really cool, allows for preheating, continuous jog, and jog during print pauses including extruder movement! Meaning that filament changes may be doable now!

Lastly, I've installed some simple RGB strips, and the bot looks AWESOME now!

Overall, I'm happy with the machine, but it's been taking way too long to try and get rid of this wobble, and I'm running out of money (or rather, I ran out a while back and am waiting for the reserves to replenish, which may take a while as I'm a college student)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing new ideas! Post here if you have some, but beware, posts that seem like spam probably won't get past moderation.