Sunday, July 17, 2011

Da Vinci Days Wrap-up.

Da vinci days was a ton of fun! printed things out all day long, and showing off the MakerBot!
My table at DV Days!!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Odd code added to the end of some files

Every once in a while, a chunk of seemingly random code will get added to the end of a part file: Here's a sample

G1 X8.11 Y0.0 Z20.0 F3000.0
G1 X8.04 Y1.06 Z20.0 F3000.0
G1 X7.84 Y2.1 Z20.0 F3000.0
G1 X7.49 Y3.1 Z20.0 F3000.0
G1 X7.28 Y3.54 Z20.0 F3000.0
I found this at the end of a Gcode file that I had printed from just fine at least 10 times, then, when this code ran, it ruined the part I found it on.

The odd thing is that it's in the middle of the code that should be end.gcode, but the end file does NOT contain the extra lines!

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Here's a link to a sample part file, both failed, and fixed... it seems that "comb" is causing the problems. Unfortunately, when this one failed, the nozzle plowed through the part, both ruining the part, and cracking part of the acrylic of the extruder mounts :-(

Here's a picture of what the failure looked like:
Circled in red are the points where the extruder hit the plastic,
the blue line is the original height of the wall the extruder hit.

Friday, July 15, 2011


While printing parts to be ready for DaVinci Days in Corvallis, I tried "Multilpy" on one part, and it did a great job... of showing how out of control the ooze is on my bot!

I have a Cupcake Ultimate, with MK5, and the "plus" heater. Everything is tuned amazingly well, printing raftlessly with no problems at all! Except ooze :-/

Pictures after the break!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Come See me at Da Vinci Days!

Hi all! I will be showing off my MakerBot at the DaVinci Days art and science festival in Corvallis Oregon this Sunday! DaVinci Days is an incredible festival, with hundreds of local artists showcasing awesome combinations of art, science, and FUN! More info at!

If you're in the area, Please come visit! It'll be a blast!